Re: DRAFT: debian-legal summary of the QPL

Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
>On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 05:56:55PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
>> I also think that this would be good to try and add to the DFSG.  I
>> think it would make a position we've tacidly had here on -legal much
>> more clear than it is now.
>
>I think it derives directly from DFSG#1--certainly the spirit, even if
>the letter is debated.  I think adding new guidelines that are subsets
>of existing ones would set a very bad precedent, since it implies that
>the DFSG is to be read literally, as a set of rules, instead of a set of
>guidelines.

I see no way that forced distribution of code to upstream is a subject
that springs directly from DFSG 1. If you disagree, then I'd suggest
that DFSG 1 is modified in order to make it clearer.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org