Re: CeCILL license : Free Software License for french research

On 2004-07-07 00:19:57 +0100 Josh Triplett <josh.trip@verizon.net> posted:

FREE SOFTWARE LICENSING AGREEMENT CeCILL

First off, I was told again today that French has no direct equivalent word for "software". "Logiciel" only means "program". I've no idea what other words don't translate. Basically: Beware.

[...]
4.2. TERM

The Agreement shall remain in force during the whole legal term of
protection of the economic rights over the Software.
[...]
and that, in the event that only the Software's Object Code is
redistributed, the Licensee allows future Licensees unhindered access to
the Software's full Source Code by providing them with the terms and
conditions for access thereto, it being understood that the additional
cost of acquiring the Source Code shall not exceed the cost of
transferring the data.

Possible practical problem: do we have to allow access for the entire term of the agreement, which could be until the copyright expires?

[...]
13.2. In the absence of an out-of-court settlement within two (2) months
as from their occurrence, and unless emergency proceedings are
necessary, the disagreements or disputes shall be referred to the Paris
Courts having jurisdiction, by the first Party to take action.

Here we go again. Are these "you will use *my* court" terms acceptable or not? :-/

(By the way, comrade Garrett, it was Oslo not Amsterdam.)

"To be English is not to be baneful / To be standing by
the flag not feeling shameful / Racist or partial..."
                                            (Morrissey)