Re: GUADEC report

MJ Ray wrote:

>Surely the opinions of any large group will include extremes? The
>larger the group, the more likely that some will be relatively
>extreme. I think this is just a symptom of people being unused to
>seeing a project try to harness a large public participation.

Sorry, that wasn't clear enough on my part. Rather than it being some of
the voiced interpretations seeming extreme, it's the perception of
outsiders that things like the desert island test are excessive.

>What do you mean by "solid legal argument"? Do we need to find a
>lawyer to check my reasoning?

Lawyers have told people that releasing images of their trademarks under
a free license would potentially harm their trademarks. As a
consequence, they potentially release them under a non-free license.
Us saying "That's not what the law says" is not going to carry a great
deal of weight here unless we have some sort of legal support. All we
/really/ need is enough to create some doubt - at that point, people can
be encouraged to go and ask their lawyers again.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org