Re: GUADEC report

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 08:21:39PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> >What do you mean by "solid legal argument"? Do we need to find a
> >lawyer to check my reasoning?
>
> Lawyers have told people that releasing images of their trademarks under
> a free license would potentially harm their trademarks. As a
> consequence, they potentially release them under a non-free license.

Not much we can do about that, if true. Sounds like the old "free
software destroys intellectual property" noise.

I don't really think that trademarks fit with the spirit of free
software (despite it being possible to use them), and I'd raise
serious questions about why they're trying to use them at all. Raising
artificial barriers to forking is a *bad* thing.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |