Re: Licening ibwebadmin and JSRS

Remco Seesink wrote:
> Great news, The author of JSRS agreed to a license change. I want to get it
> right now the first try, so I thought I better check here first.

Good idea.

> How about this version where I removed the offending line?
>
> <BEGIN JSRS LICENSE>
> No Nonsense Copyright and License for JSRS JavaScript Remote Scripting
>
> Copyright:
>
> This JSRS stuff was written by me.  I find it useful.  Others find it useful.
> You are welcome to use it, modify it to suit your needs, distribute it as you
> see fit.  I'm happy if you use it for personal stuff or for commercial gain.
>
> The only thing you can't do is to restrict anyone else from using it however
> they see fit.  You may not change the rules I have set on how it can be used.
>
> JSRS Javascript Remote Scripting Copyright (C) 2001 by Brent Ashley
>
> License:
>
> You can use this however you like.  I make no guarantees whatsoever that it
> will suit your purpose.  You take full responsibility for getting it working
> properly and for any implications of its failure or inability to satisfy your
> every need.

> email inquiries: jsrs@megahuge.com
> <END JSRS LICENSE>

This license appears to be DFSG-free, although a bit confused about the
difference between "Copyright" and "License".  If it weren't for the
copyleft ("don't restrict anyone else from using it however they see
fit"), I would suggest using the MIT license
(http://opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php) instead of a custom
license.  However, I think that copyleft is also the only thing keeping
this license from being GPL-incompatible.  The author probably wouldn't
want to use the GPL, since the author probably used this license because
of to an aversion to long licenses.

Overall, I would suggest using the MIT license if the author doesn't
want a copyleft, and the license above if the author just wants to make
the minimal changes needed to have a Free license.

- Josh Triplett