Re: dpANSI

Greetings, and thanks for this!

Adam Warner <lists@consulting.net.nz> writes:

> On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 07:50, Camm Maguire wrote:
> > Greetings!  Can anyone comment on the DFSG status of the material at:
> >
> > ftp://parcftp.xerox.com/pub/cl
> >
> > ?  Please cc: me directly.
>
> Hi Camm. This is an earlier answer from the X3J13 Project Editor, Kent M
> Pitman. It is as definitive as you can get without further evidence
> being made public:
> <http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=sfwr84z4dnq.fsf%40shell01.TheWorld.com>
>
> I am personally prepared to rely upon the Common Lisp community
> understanding that they are public domain documents.
>
> Whether the Debian project is similarly prepared to accept the
> uncertainty is their decision. I suggest the Debian project is
> relatively safe continuing to distribute gcl-doc and gclcvs-doc which
> include these unofficial sources.

It would be nice for those in the know/responsible for Debian's legal
understanding to put forth a consensus on this.  Others have suggested
the possible usefulness of contacting others on the committee.  I have
a call into one such person.  But given this statement, this course
might be a waste of time.  Thoughts?

> Just remember than you should never use the HyperSpec nor the official
> ANSI Common Lisp standard as source as these are both clearly copyright
> and distribution is encumbered.

Indeed -- we don't and never will.