Re: How long is it acceptable to leave *undistributable* files in the kernel package?

Raul Miller writes:

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 06:34:30PM -0400, Michael Poole wrote:
>> You think it is clear.  I do not see why the Program (or a work based
>> on it) cannot itself be a distribution medium for other useful works.
>
> How are going to use that firmware without the linux kernel?
>
> Because if you're using it without the kernel then it's not a part of
> the same program -- it's only when the firmware is included in the kernel
> that this becomes an issue.

How to use it without Linux?  There is more than one operating system
in the world.  At least a few of them (including Linux) provide more
than one way to load firmware to a device, although not all device
drivers may support all the mechanisms.

Michael Poole