Re: How long is it acceptable to leave *undistributable* files in the kernel package?

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 06:00:43PM -0400, Michael Poole wrote:
> Temporarily setting aside the questions I raised elsewhere about
> whether any kernel copyright holder has legal standing to complain, I
> believe it goes back to the argument whether the "mere aggregation"
> clause applies.

Here's the sentence which uses the phrase "mere aggregation":

   In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the Program
   with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a volume
   of a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other work
   under the scope of this License.

I think this is pretty clear.

Let's say that A is a GPL'd work and B is some other work.

If A and B are both parts of the same program, then the "mere aggregation"
sentence does not provide an exception.

If A and B are not parts of the same program -- for example, if they are
two separate programs in the same archive -- then the "mere aggregation"
sentence does provide an exception.

--
Raul