Re: DBD::InterBase licence

On 2004-06-15 14:23:06 +0100 Damyan Ivanov <divanov@creditreform.bg> wrote:

You may distribute under the terms of either the GNU General Public
License or the Artistic License, as specified in the Perl README file,
with the exception that it cannot be placed on a CD-ROM or similar media
for commercial distribution without the prior approval of the author.

This seems confused. GPL+non-comm-dist is not satisfiable by anyone but the author IIRC (so why bother stating it?), so that leaves Artistic+non-comm-dist, which is still non-free.

It might even be unable to go in non-free, as "or similar media" looks like a huge lawyerbomb. Is any disk "similar" to a CD-ROM? Is it if that disk is in a server connected to the internet and sent over paid-for-transfer connections?

Since I am not a lawer, and since the policy suggests to ask here if in doubt, I am asking for your opinion. Is the above license DFSG-compliant or not?

I am not a lawyer either, but it seems fairly clearly not, as you wrote.

--[Cc: me, I am not subscibed]--

Done.

--
MJR/slef
My Opinion Only and possibly not of any group I know.