Re: gens License Check - Non-free

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:
> However, in the case of a a GPL library it is possible to argue that
> the person distributing the program is encouraging people to fetch the
> library from a public server and link it with the program, and
> therefore that person is in effect distributing the GPL library in an
> unlicensed manner.

I don't accept this reasoning (though courts have said stranger things).

I can't tell you "you walked around my yard, but that's just another way of
achieving the same result as walking across my yard, so you're in effect
trespassing."  Just because the outcome is the same does not make the two
scenarios 'in effect' the same.