Re: gens License Check - Non-free

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 10:03:38PM +0100, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:
> Josh Triplett <josh.trip@verizon.net>:
>
> > > So before Wine was created, anything which uses a Windows library was a
> > > derivative of Windows?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> There are so many theories on this subject that I am perpetually
> confused, but I don't think that is what is usually claimed in the
> case of GPL libraries.
>
> I think the usual claim is that the program that uses the library plus
> the library is a derivative of the library (which is obviously true)
> and also a single work even when the parts are distributed separately
> (which is at least plausible).
>
> In the case of a typical Windows library that's not a problem because:
>
> 1. Only Microsoft and its agents are distributing the library.
>
> 2. The library is not available from public servers.
>
> 3. There is explicit or implicit permission to link the library with
> arbitrary programs.

That said, I have no problem conceiving of the notion that MS might
change the license to prohibit specific programs from linking to a
given library. Probably as part of a security update.

So the theory holds, but it *could* be a problem. Fortunately it won't
be our problem.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |