Re: Creative Commons Attribution license element

On 2004-06-08 17:06:25 +0100 Evan Prodromou <evan@debian.org> wrote:

Second, let me note how poorly timed the analysis is. Creative Commons
revised their suite of licenses this year (from 1.0 to 2.0), and this
list was asked to provide comment:

You seem to get the basics of these problems in reply to that. Were they taken into consideration by CC?

It may be "poorly timed" but at least a debian user helped to make it happen. Please praise Ben Francis and give him due credit for getting your attention with http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2004-June/000909.html

Equally, let us note that a debian *developer* subscribed to cc-discuss solicited the views of debian-legal, but did not make sure our views were clearly known to them. Then again, we're all volunteers in debian AFAIK, so let's not throw accusations of unprofessional conduct around.

[...] As far as I know, the above-mentioned analysis
wasn't forwarded to Creative Commons before today. [...]

I'm sorry it didn't happen sooner, but I can only do so much at once and I just assumed that you reported it back to them.

So, that's my feedback. I'd like to know what can be done to amend the
analysis and re-open this license (as well as Attribution 2.0,
ShareAlike 1.0, and Attribution-ShareAlike 1.0 and 2.0) for
consideration.

Convince enough people that the summary is updated. I still think it won't be DFSG-free until the "author name purging" part is fixed, so is there much point? I need to think about your trademark comments when it's not so hot here.

On the Creative Commons side, I'd wonder what opportunity there is to
get Debian's very tardy comments and critiques applied to new versions
of the CC licenses.

The comments are not tardy, it's just that they don't seem to have got to cc-discuss before. I assumed that you would be doing that reporting, in the same way that maintainers asking debian-legal usually report results to the upstream authors if required. Maybe I misjudged it, but no-one's dead yet AFAIK, so no need to grieve.

--
MJR/slef
My Opinion Only and possibly not of any group I know.