Re: DFSG#10 and the Open Source Initiative

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 06:29:06PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> I'm saying modification and distribution are two different things, and
> the DFSG talks about them separately.  (You seemed to have difficulty
> with the fact that the GPL does allow you to make proprietary modifications
> and to link against GPL-incompatible code, as long as it's not distributed,
> so I'm not going to try to convince you of this.)

As a general rule, copyright law is only relevant when copies are being
made or distributed.  There are good practical reasons for this.

Also, from our point of view, modifications which you can't distribute
are restricted modifications.

Finally, I'm not the one who claims that

   "The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must
    allow them to be distributed under the same terms as the license of
    the original software."

applies to ALL modifications and derived works.  That's your claim.

> > I'm just going to repeat two of the paragraphs you were responding to
> > in the top quoted paragraph, above:
> > *2

> yourself twice, as if your arguments will become more convincing through
> repetition.  Right.  I'm done with this subthread.

That is because what you said in response to what I repeated is
contradicted by what you said more recently.

--
Raul