Re: DFSG#10 and the Open Source Initiative

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 04:36:42PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> Patches and renames are explicitly allowed by DFSG#4.  I already mentioned
> warranty disclaimers.  "Must supply source" and "can't add further restrictions"
> are restrictions on distribution, not modification; they don't affect
> what modifications you can make.

"Must supply source" is a restriction on the modifications you can
distribute, which is basically the same thing.

You can't distribute binaries that you can't supply sources for.
For example, if the binaries were editted (manually, with a virus, or
-- for the "can't add further restrictions" restriction -- simply by
incorporating code which was provided under a conflicting license).

And, yes, I agree that you can work around all of these with sufficient
effort.  The restriction still exists, or that extra effort wouldn't
be required.

--
Raul