Re: DFSG#10 and the Open Source Initiative

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 05:27:49PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> This is completely irrelevant; we're talking about your interpretation
> of DFSG#10, not its literal text.

Did I say "all" some place, or anything like that?

> Please stop pretending your interpretation is consensus; it is not.

Huh?

> I'm assuming, by your response, that "DFSG#10 requires that the DFSG be
> interpreted such that some applications--but not all--of the GPL are
> free" is, in fact, your interpretation of DFSG#10.

Change "applications" to "instances" and you'd be reasonably correct.
Though to be completely accurate you should have the additional qualifier
that it's the default instance of the GPL which is considered free
(this is "the GPL without any contry specific restriction" -- which
happens to be every instance of the GPL I've ever seen).

> I find that to be
> exactly as meaningless as interpreting DFSG#3 in the same way, for the
> same reasons.  I havn't seen anybody else with this opinion on either
> of these, so I'm not going to bother repeating the arguments.

Can you provide me with a reference to a post which clearly presents
these reasons?

Failing that, can you provide a keyword, phrase or other such thing
which would let me search for these "reasons"?

Thanks,

--
Raul