Re: DFSG#10 and the Open Source Initiative

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 05:12:18PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> > On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 03:26:19PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> > > The problem, here, is that "GPL" really represents a class of licenses.
> > > That class includes a [currently empty] set of licenses which prevent
> > > distribution in certain countries.  That set is non-free, but that
> > > doesn't make the GPL not be an example of a free license.
>
> On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 03:46:04PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> > So you're changing your claim to "DFSG#10 requires that the DFSG be
> > interpreted such that some applications--but not all--of the GPL are
> > free".
>
> DFSG#10 does not contain the word "all", nor any of its synonyms.

This is completely irrelevant; we're talking about your interpretation
of DFSG#10, not its literal text.

Please stop pretending your interpretation is consensus; it is not.

I'm assuming, by your response, that "DFSG#10 requires that the DFSG be
interpreted such that some applications--but not all--of the GPL are
free" is, in fact, your interpretation of DFSG#10.  I find that to be
exactly as meaningless as interpreting DFSG#3 in the same way, for the
same reasons.  I havn't seen anybody else with this opinion on either
of these, so I'm not going to bother repeating the arguments.

--
Glenn Maynard