Re: DFSG#10 [was: Re: Draft Debian-legal summary of the LGPL]

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 04:58:49PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> (To be clear, the "obnoxious advertising clause" is a different issue.
> All we're talking about here is "the following acknowledgement", which
> is used in many more licenses than the 4-clause BSD, often in much less
> obnoxious ways, such as "in supporting documentation".)

I don't think requiring a verbatim statement is "supporting
documentation" is any less obnoxious than requiring a verbatim statement
in "advertising materials".

Both could be wholly independently copyright works, and it is an
unreasonable arrogation of power over the work of others to attempt to
control their speech in this fashion.

Any license that attempts to so is fatally defective from a DFSG
standpoint.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     If you're handsome, it's flirting.
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     If you're a troll, it's sexual