Re: sendmail X license (fwd)

Scripsit Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu>
> Brian Thomas Sniffen <bts@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> > Um, I'm not a lawyer and this is outside even my
> > layman's-understanding of the law, but I'm certain I've seen cases
> > proceed in the courts of location X under the laws of location Y,
> > because a violation of a contract happened in X -- or the parties or
> > tort are somehow in X, such that it has jurisdiction, but the contract
> > insists on the laws of Y.

> Do you have a citation?  I don't see how this could possibly work.

For what it's worth, it's the way it happens in Denmark (which is the
jurisdiction I have knowledge of).

> I could see that a tort happens in place X that is decided in a
> court in place Y, but I don't see how you're going to get courts in
> one place to familiarize themselves with the laws of another place.

The party who wants to support his claim with references to the laws
of the other place wille have to educate the court about what they say.

--
Henning Makholm                             "Elses pels blev alt for trang."