Re: The draft Position statement on the GFDL

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 03:35:52PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> > No, it does not, in this you are wrong. You can't modify a GPL'd program
> > and take away the "announcement" mentioned in GPL#2,(b). You just can't.
> > And this is a functional modification, that you are forbidden to do.
>
> That is true, yes. I got too worked up trying do decipher Raul
> Miller's example to see the obvious.

FWIW, I consider this a little non-freeness in the GPL.  I don't like
having to reconfigure applications to convince them not to spam me with
license blurbs on startup (no more than, say, credit or sponsor lists);
if I cared about those, I'd look in the documentation.  This may be one
of those "DFSG#10 is the only real defense" cases.

--
Glenn Maynard