Re: Draft Debian-legal summary of the LGPL

Andreas Barth said on Wed, May 12, 2004 at 11:15:06AM +0200,:

 > For me, I want the LGPL for  a very simple reason on this web page:
 > It's  quite  often  used  (even  so  often that  it  is  stored  in
 > /usr/share/common-licenses), and  I think that  on our web  page we
 > should  not only have  the quite  new licenses,  but also  the "old
 > stuff".

So just  say that  Debian policy  is to put  licences x,  y, and  z at
such-and-such place  because so many  packages in Debian  are licensed
under those licenses by the respective copyright holders.

`Approved DFSG-free' is a tag we cannot easily remove, and as (my very
short) experience  shows, new issues  may crop up.  Moreover,  what is
`DFSG free' is the package(*), and copyright holder(s)' interpretation
of the license.

(*) So that packages requiring Sun/Blackdown java go into contrib

--

   "Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security
 		deserve neither security nor liberty"