Re: The draft Position statement on the GFDL

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 01:09:12PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> > > So, in essence, you think that the DFSG says we must disallow the
> > > distribution of gcc if its license prevents you distributing copies which
> > > have been functionally modified to better integrate with microsoft's
> > > palladium?

> On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 05:22:11PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> > Yes.

> That's in direct, literal conflict with the DFSG (clause 10).

> The GPL specifically disallows creation of copies with changes -- no
> matter how functional -- which include restrictions on the rights of
> other users of derivatives.

No.  It disallows changes to the *license terms* under which copies are
distributed.  With the exception of a very narrow set of restrictions
related to copyright acknowledgement and warranty disclaimers, the
nature of changes to the code is not restricted by the GPL.  There is
nothing in the GPL that would prevent someone from changing gcc to
"better integrate" (whatever that could mean) with Palladium.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer