Re: The draft Position statement on the GFDL

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 08:01:16PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> That is a non-solution. Telling a lie and then saying, "oops, the
> above statement is a lie, but a previous author requires me to tell
> it" will (1) not make the lie go away, (2) help nobody, and (3) make
> everyone involved look silly. Plus, there may not be space for that
> much deliberation on the cover.

And calling a statement which is true a lie doesn't do anyone any
good either.

> > Your hypothetical "factual incorrectness" is purely contextual,
>
> Yes. So?

Your entire example is based on taking a statement which is true in one
context and creating another context where it is incorrect.  This works,
as long as you're not willing to go to the minor effort of fixing the
second context.

> > and it's probably possible to fix the context that the statement is
> > no longer incorrect.
>
> Sure - by not making a derived work at all. That is the only way to
> avoid putting the cover text in a context where it is not literally
> false.

And this, my friend, is an example of a lie.

--
Raul