Re: Theoretical Library License

@ 10/05/2004 16:44 : wrote Benjamin Cutler :

Humberto Massa wrote:
@ 10/05/2004 16:26 : wrote Benjamin Cutler :

>> **The library itself would be GPL.**
See below :-)

I just added some additional freedoms/terms for people who want to make commercial/proprietary/closed source programs with it, as the GPL as I understand it requires programs using GPL libraries to be GPL
themselves.
But only if those are non-commercial... I think I understand what you want, some of the extra LGPL freedoms, but in a narrower way. You can make it a GPL'd with exceptions, like:

"this library is distributed under the terms of the GNU GPL [[ , v2 or later at your option ]]; as an exception, you can link any proprietary program with this library or a modified version, PROVIDED said program is distributed ABSOLUTELY GRATUITOUSLY, and not under any other circumstances, AND the distribution of the library continues to abide the terms of the GNU GPL. If you want to link your proprietary program with this library, contact cutler(at)something, that is the original copyrights holder, and ask for other terms of licensing". the part in [[]] is optional.

I hope this helps you, but my recommendation is still... go GPL pure and simple. I don't know if there is any good in making the library available to the "freeware" gratuitous, non-DFSG-free software hordes... :-)

--
br,M