Re: GFDL

On Fri, 07 May 2004, Mahesh T. Pai wrote:
> Glenn Maynard said on Thu, May 06, 2004 at 11:38:56PM -0400,:
>  > it seems like an attempt, through licensing, to prevent people from
>  > expressing  competing  philosophies.   That  goal  feels  extremely
>  > non-free.
>
> 1. GFDL does  not prevent what you think it prevents.

Argument by assertion isn't going to do anything for those of us who
think that the GFDL is not free.

If you really believe that the GFDL is free, you need to deal with the
arguments made in the position statement step by step, and demonstrate
why they are incorrect.

> 2. In preventing people from doing certain things, GFDL works in the
> same way almost all copyleft licenses (like the GPL) do.

Yes, but the things that the GPL does serve a demonstrable interest of
Free Software. We haven't been able to determine a demonstrable
interest of Free Software that the restrictions present in the GFDL
are supposed to serve that isn't an innapropriate restriction of user
freedom.

Don Armstrong

--
Filing a bug is probably not going to get it fixed any faster.
 -- Anthony Towns

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu