Re: Fwd: reiser4 non-free?

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 12:54, Hans Reiser wrote:
> When you go to the opera, they don't come on stage and say buy XYZ, but
> they do say something prominent on the brochure like "we thank the
> generous ABC corporation for making this evening happen".  Debian should
> follow that model, it works and is morally right to do.

This is a very good analogy.

Debian will happily print your credits in our "brochure"
(/usr/share/doc/*reiser*/copyright), which is an optional read for
people who want to see the opera (use the ReiserFS software). We'll even
do it prominently, all caps, whatever. But we will not walk out on stage
(print messages during use of the software) to advertise your
filesystem.

We do follow that model, it does work, and it is the right thing to do.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>