Re: Fwd: reiser4 non-free?

On 2004-05-04 17:20:56 +0100 Hans Reiser <reiser@namesys.com> wrote:

I understand why they lost interest in talking to persons who cannot grasp that distros removed mention of them from their man pages and this was wrong.

That's actually irrelevant in that case. Their advertising clause is actually not the reason for it being non-free, as I understand it, although it does make it GPL-incompatible, which is a bit irritating.

Their licence requires extreme protection of their name as a condition, which seems unacceptable for free software. If I even mention in a factual review who holds the copyright to the software, I have probably failed the letter of the conditions.

It seems a little cruel of you to punish all users by taking your code non-free because you are not happy with some distributor actions. You should work with the distributors instead of accusing them of immorality as an opening tactic. That should be the last resort, not the first.

I sent them a thanks for being brave enough to take on the task of changing licensing mores and forcing distros to attribute, and I got a response.;-)

You seem to enjoy working against free software. I got some responses, too, as previously mentioned.

--
MJR/slef
My Opinion Only and possibly not of any group I know.