Re: xzx license

Niklas Vainio wrote:
> On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 06:10:06PM +0530, Mahesh T. Pai wrote:
>
>> > xzx's license forbids modification but we have a diff of over 30 kB. It
>> > looks like it's undistributable in the current form. See bug 240941.
>>
>>Where is the license text available?
>

> All packages have a link to their license text in the package page.
>
> Here's the text:
> http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/non-free/x/xzx/xzx_3.0.1-2/copyright

In the future, it is helpful for debian-legal if requests to review a
license are accompanied by the full text of the license, for the
purposes of quoting and comment.  The full text follows.

- Josh Triplett

xzx license:
> Permission to use, distribute, and sell this software and its documentation
> for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that the above
> copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and
> this permission notice appear in supporting documentation, and that the name
> of the copyright holder not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to
> distribution of the software without specific, written prior permission.  The
> copyright holder makes no representations about the suitability of this
> software for any purpose.  It is provided "as is" without express or implied
> warranty. THE CODE MAY NOT BE MODIFIED OR REUSED WITHOUT PERMISSION!
>
> THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE,
> INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS, IN NO
> EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR
> CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE,
> DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER
> TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR
> PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

As you said, this license clearly prohibits all modification.

permission notice:
> However, I would appreciate if you distribute a binary-only version with
> Debian. In that case I could give you the permission to change the source
> code (only to make it compile under Debian Linux).
>
> You must not change any version number, copyright notice nor documentation
> of XZX. There is a XZX distribution for RedHat available.
>
> BTW starting with version 2.2.0 XZX is no longer freeware. But a shareware
> version will still be available. For more detailed information look at XZX's
> homepage.

[signature snipped]

This permission notice is very narrow.  Any change not directly related
to making the software compile, such as a bugfix (there appears to be at
least one in the diff), is not allowed, and neither is distributing the
modified source (even in the form of a unified diff, which contains much
of the original).  Furthermore, as you mentioned, it is unclear who the
permission applies to.  I think the package should be removed.

- Josh Triplett