On 2004-05-01 04:06:35 +0100 Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> wrote:

To adapt an analogy that someone used earlier, when you go to a store,
you might find fonts, images, or other data in a box in the software
section.  However, you are not likely to find a specification for
TCP/IP in the software section

Of course you are. Have you never seen CD-ROMs that include specifications? They are quite popular in rural areas, where most data links are fairly slow. I used to buy CD copies of FTP archives before we got DSL here.

and you are not likely to find a print
of Starry Night in the software section either.

No, prints are probably not software, depending what you mean by "print".

--
MJR/slef
My Opinion Only and possibly not of any group I know.