Re: DRAFT for a GR proposal concerning the Sarge release

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 08:04:13AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Has anyone asked Linus what his feelings are regarding firmware?  If he
> thinks it's acceptable (or possibly even the 'preferred form of
> modification') to have in Linux and that it's not violating the GPL then
> I don't think we have a problem.  In these cases of ambiguity it makes
> sense to me to ask the copyright holder to clarify for us instead of
> assuming that they're violating their own license.

I concur with the other responses: Linus is not the sole copyright holder.

I'll also reiterate the other problem: even if we believe that the entire
Linux kernel developer body agrees (which may be the case, though I doubt
it), I'm sure there's a lot of code in the kernel pulled from other GPL
projects, whose copyright holders aren't kernel developers at all.

--
Glenn Maynard