Re: DRAFT for a GR proposal concerning the Sarge release

[I'm not subcribed to -legal]

Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 01:47:17AM +0200, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> > Do we? WRT kernel firmware, the driver authors seem to see it as a
> > collection of works (with the firmware being one part), and at least
> > I tend to prefer the author's opinion over third-party interpretations.
> The author's opinion may not be completely relevant when there are hundreds
> of authors.

Currently those concerns are vented by people who aren't authors
of kernel stuff.

> Remember, the drivers are being linked to all other code in
> the kernel, and the license of that code (usually also GPL) must be followed.
> I don't know if there's any legal consensus on this among kernel developers
> (not being one myself).

>From what I gathered, the vast majority of kernel developers sees
it as not-a-problem, and none is interested in suing his fellow
developers. (Doing so may well result in the removal of that
developer's contributions, as that would minimize the amount of