Re: Not inherently free, but inherently non-free?

Thank you all for your answers, I think I can get the point now.

    GM> On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 11:03:32PM +0200, Milan Zamazal wrote:

    >> The license of a Debian component may not restrict any party from
    >> selling or giving away the software as a component of an
    >> aggregate software distribution containing programs from several
    >> different sources. The license may not require a royalty or other
    >> fee for such sale.

[...]

    GM> Not permitting distribution on a DRM medium restricts "selling
    GM> or giving away the software as a component of an aggregate
    GM> software distribution containing programs from several different
    GM> sources".

    GM> It seems straightforward to me; I can't take the program,
    GM> package it with something else (forming an aggregate software
    GM> distribution), put it on a DRM medium and sell it, due to a
    GM> license restriction.

When DFSG was written, the point 1 was specifically handling cases like
"you can't distribute this software together with software holding
certain properties".  In your reasoning, the "put it on a DRM medium"
part is not *clearly* covered by DFSG#1.  I think Lewis has explained
the issue in a more clear way, see below.

    HM> Section 3 (Copying in quantity): Forces to distribute
    HM> transparent (source) along with the opaque (binary) form: forced
    HM> distribution of goes against the spirit of the DFSG, altough not
    HM> its letter.
    >>  So this doesn't violate DFSG.

    GM> Violating the spirit of the DFSG *is* violating the DFSG.
    GM> Please don't insist that a set of guidelines be read as a set of
    GM> strict rules.  A lot of people try to do that, and it simply
    GM> doesn't work.

I agree, but in this particular case it's very questionable whether
forcing you to distribute the sources is against the spirit.  Consider
DFSG#4, which explicitly permits an obstruction leading to medium space
waste (unmodifiable source distribution package).  In such cases, it's
better to stick to the letter (or clarify the letter).

    HM> I will try again, before going home.

Thanks.

    HM> USofA copyright law acts only on redistribution of software, not
    HM> its use; any attempt to act on its use by a license is normally
    HM> considered non-DFSG-free-ness by debian-legal.

OK, this is a good point.

    HM> I made a copy. It's not my copyright, is other person. If I do
    HM> "chmod -r", it's a technical measure that obstructs others from
    HM> further copying my copy.

I think it's not your copyright, but it's still your copy.  So
`chmod -r' is IMHO just stopping distribution of the copy.

    HM> Forced distribution of the source is also considered by
    HM> debian-legal non-freeness.

If it is so, it's inconsistent with DFSG#4, see above.  Is there a
pointer to a particular reasoning behind this?

    LJ> Section 3 (Copying in quantity): Forces to distribute
    LJ> transparent (source) along with the opaque (binary) form: forced
    LJ> distribution of goes against the spirit of the DFSG, altough not
    LJ> its letter. Apply similarities with the Desert Island test.

I don't understand how the Desert Island test applies here to GFDL and
not to GPL.  Could you explain it (or give a particular pointer),
please?

    HM> As I said before, at least one case is absolutely, crystal clear
    HM> as per the DFSG: the DRM restriction is absolutely forbidden by
    HM> the DFSG#1, that states: "

    HM> The license of a Debian component may not restrict any party
    HM> from selling or giving away the software as a component of an
    HM> aggregate software distribution containing programs from several
    HM> different sources.

Again, it doesn't say "on any medium".  But:

    LJ> Surely it's implicit in 'may not restrict any party' that the
    LJ> licensed work must be distributable in any form the distributor
    LJ> chooses? As it stands, GFDL works cannot be distributed at all
    LJ> on DRM media and therefore if the distributor puts (for example)
    LJ> paragraphs from a GFDL manual in spoken form on a CSS,
    LJ> Region-coded DVD, he is restricted from distributing this DVD,
    LJ> which is an aggregate software distribution containing programs
    LJ> from several different sources (If you take documentation to be
    LJ> software, which AFAIK, Debian does).

Here is the point.  If the document was distributed *only* on a CSS
medium, it might violate copyleft principles.  But it should be allowed,
for example, to distribute the document on such a medium, if it is
accompanied with a freely readable medium.  GFDL is unclear here and
that's the problem.

Thanks.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
The seeker after truth should be humbler than the dust.  The world crushes the
dust under its feet, but the seeker after truth should so humble himself that