Re: Not inherently free, but inherently non-free?

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 11:03:32PM +0200, Milan Zamazal wrote:
> DFSG#1:
>
>      The license of a Debian component may not restrict any party from
>      selling or giving away the software as a component of an aggregate
>      software distribution containing programs from several different
>      sources. The license may not require a royalty or other fee for
>      such sale.
>
> Why does this state the license must permit distribution on a DRM
> medium?

Not permitting distribution on a DRM medium restricts "selling or giving
away the software as a component of an aggregate software distribution
containing programs from several different sources".

It seems straightforward to me; I can't take the program, package it
with something else (forming an aggregate software distribution), put it
on a DRM medium and sell it, due to a license restriction.

>     HM> Section 3 (Copying in quantity):
>     HM>   Forces to distribute transparent (source) along with the
>     HM> opaque (binary) form: forced distribution of goes against the
>     HM> spirit of the DFSG, altough not its letter.
>
> So this doesn't violate DFSG.

Violating the spirit of the DFSG *is* violating the DFSG.  Please don't insist
that a set of guidelines be read as a set of strict rules.  A lot of people
try to do that, and it simply doesn't work.

--
Glenn Maynard