Re: The QPL licence

Scripsit Sean Kellogg <skellogg@u.washington.edu>

> While I am not a lawyer, I am a law student...  and if I remember
> anything from my civil procedure course I don't think this
> particular choice of venue clause would stick in an international
> setting.

I'm with you there. But I think we usually take a bleak view of
license offers that claim that they will bind the user to things that
he cannot legally be bound to.

(However, in other cases we have ruled that some clause is not
non-free only because it is not enforceable, so perhaps our general
position is not very clear).

> This is just my two cents from a guy who reads debian-legal has never
> commented before.

Welcome! We're always in need of input from qualified people who
actually know law. (Most of us are just hacking along and trying to
apply common sense to the legalese. That does not always result in a
reliable simulation of what the legalese means in a courtroom).

--
Henning Makholm          "Ambiguous cases are defined as those for which the
                       compiler being used finds a legitimate interpretation