Re: Squeak in Debian?

Lewis Jardine <s9902074@sms.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> 'when such distribution is prohibited by law' - If you're not a US
> citizen, and not in the US, US law does not apply to you, and therefore
> does not prohibit such distribution.
[...]
> 'all applicable United States export control laws' - none of them are
> applicable to a non-US citizen outside the US.

[...]
> 'all applicable laws' - same as cmucl.

Are we sure this is what those weasle words mean?  Not that I am fully
up on lawyer-speak, but I read the "applicable laws" as "laws referring
to software, cryptography, etc."  That is, I read it as, you must follow
the relevant US export laws but you do not have to follow all of US
export law.

Note that your reading makes all of these clauses NOP's.

-Lex

PS -- please remember we are talking specifically about whether Debian
will accept Apple's terms for the distribution of Squeak.  I agree that
there are some part of DFSG that Squeak-L breaks, even though
Squeak-L does follow the spirit of DFSG, but that's a separate issue.