Re: The purpose of debian-legal

Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> writes:

> 1) Minimizing the probability that Debian, that or contributers to
> Debian will be involved in legal action arising from Debian's
> distribution or modification of software.

I don't think this is among the goals of debian-legal.  Can you
remember discussions on debian-legal regarding new developments in
kernel space, or about JPEG implementations?  But IIRC there were
extensive discusssions about mplayer's copyright (not patent) status
and about the LZW compression algorithm.

There are other factors (besides being risk averse) that control the
outcome of such discussions.

--
Current mail filters: many dial-up/DSL/cable modem hosts, and the
following domains: atlas.cz, bigpond.com, postino.it, tiscali.co.uk,