Re: ASL2 vs. GPL?

Hi,

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 21:14, Chris Waters wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 11:28:21AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
>
> > I think AF and FSF are still talking.
>
> I hope so!  Does anyone know for sure?

According to the new statement on Apache website they are in active
discussion with the FSF. The page seems to have been updated earlier
today and now includes the following:

	After spending a couple hours on the phone with the FSF [...]

        We are still working with the FSF in order to resolve the issue,
        which may result in future changes to either or both of our
        licenses. In the mean time, the FSF requests that you do not
        consider the two licenses to be compatible. The Apache Software
        Foundation believes that you should always try to obey the
        constraints expressed by the copyright holder when
        redistributing their work, even when those constraints may be
        unclear. [...]

Full page with in depth analysis of the patent problem:
http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility

So there is hope that in the long run the Apache/GPL issues will be
resolved. I certainly hope so since it will positively impact a lot of
projects I care about.

Cheers,

Mark