Re: POSIX manpages

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 01:01:33PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > I am worried about this situation since the file POSIX-COPYRIGHT
> > doesn't lose a word about re-distribution, modifications and
> > permission to distribute changes, neither does the press release
> >
> > I'm worried in particular since if the license does not conform with
> > the Open Source Definition aka Debian Free Software Guidelines, which
> > I fear, it would render the entire manpages package non-free.  What a
> > wonderful contribution to the Free Software community...
> >
> > Any ideas and suggestions are welcome
>
> Modification is expressly prohibited by both groups, so unless there's
> something we're not seeing, that's about as non-free as you can get.
>
> IEEE and The Open Group are in the business of publishing
> specifications and charging for copies of them, and POSIX has never
> historically been a free document. I'd treat any license from them
> like a live grenade.

I agree.

I think this is a poison pill, and I have thought so since I first read
the Slashdot story and conspicuously found no mention of license to do
anything except permit one party to "use" the material.

As far as I can tell:

Non-free as hell.  Avoid like the plague.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       Our ignorance is God; what we
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       know is science.