Re: OpenPBS license revisited

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 10:49:41PM +0000, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org>
>
> > [skipping the non-applicable clauses]
>
> Beware. http://www.openpbs.org/license.html does not exempt the two
> first clauses anymore. Of course that does not affect old sources that
> someone may genuinely have received under the older license text, but
> taking care in what one does would be recommended.

Yeah, I think supercluster.org took care to fork the last good version
of it.

> > > 5. Redistributions in any form must be accompanied by information on how to
> > >    obtain complete source code for the OpenPBS software and any
> > >    modifications and/or additions to the OpenPBS software.  The source code
>
> > This triggers my "eh?" radar
>
> Yes, it is strangely drafted. The intent may be benign, but it is hard
> to argue that it is necessarily so.
>
> > >    all modifications and additions to the Software must be freely
> > >    redistributable by any party (including Licensor) without
> > >    restriction.
>
> > Oops.  I think we just hit non-DFSG-free territory.  As I read it
> > (and I may be overly paranoid here)
>
> I don't think you're paranoid either; my reaction is similar to yours.
>
> > The terms of the licence are "restrictions" on redistribution, so
> > the modifications aren't under this licence, they're effectively
> > public domain.  Not a good thing.
>
> Not a good thing at all. Directly fails second half of DFSG #3.

That was also the main point of the discussion back then. Only "John
Galt" seemed to consider it violating DFSG #3 though, Thomas Bushnell
et.al. seemed to argue that the second half of DFSG #3 does not apply.
IANAL and I don't even pretend to play one on irc either, though ;)

> > > 6. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of the
> > > Software must display the following acknowledgment:
> > >
> > >     "This product includes software developed by NASA Ames
> > >     Research Center, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, and
> > >     Veridian Information Solutions, Inc.  Visit www.OpenPBS.org
> > >     for OpenPBS software support, products, and information."
>
> > Blech, as we all know.

Blech, as in: "Yuck, but still DFSG conforming?"

Thanks for the input.

Michael

--
Michael Banck