Re: FWD from XFree86 forum: GPL-incompatible license

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:

> The path to clearing away GPL-incompatibilties due to the BSD
> advertising clause for the entire XFree86 source tree (as of
> XFree86 4.3.0, anyway) seems fairly short.  Given that, it seems a
> shame to entrench a similar incompatibility both broadly and
> deeply.  To do so would seem to represent a very real de facto
> change in the XFree86 Project, Inc.'s licensing policy.

I thank and applaud you for your detailed analysis of the licensing
issues surrounding the X source code. This is the kind of analysis we
need moving forward to ensure future licensing issues do not crop up.

The question now remains whether the XFree86 project can be convinced to
change their 're-license' to something that achieves the same goal they
want to achieve without becoming GPL incompatible.

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~