What constitutes a package for Policy

Hi,

I need clarification on what a package is. For example, the policy
states (2.2.1):

   In addition, the packages in main

    * must not require a package outside of main for compilation or
      execution (thus, the package must not declare a "Depends",
      "Recommends", or "Build-Depends" relationship on a non-main package),

The first mension of package is clear. But what does this mean?

  "must not require a package outside of main"

For example, a jikes has a Recommends as follows:

Recommends: jikes-sablevm | jikes-gij | jikes-classpath | jikes-kaffe | jikes-sun

Now, all of these packages, but jikes-sun, are in main (or will be once uploaded).
Does jikes satisfy the policy? Does the policy refer to "a package" as
"jikes-sablevm OR jikes-gij OR ..."

OR

does it mean "jikes-sablevm AND jikes-gij AND ... " ?

Thanks,
Adam

PS. I think it is the OR part since | means OR. Futhgermore jikes
does not "require" a package outside of main even though jikes-sun
is in contrib.