Re: Licences with mutually exclusive terms

On Jan 30, 2004, at 14:44, Måns Rullgård wrote:

What about the ones that say "You must do one of these", giving a
bunch of possibly incompatible options?

That's fine, as long as one of the options is free. We have a very well-known and accepted license like that, the GNU GPL.

Look at Section 3 (if I remember correctly) of the GPL. You can distribute source along with the binary, give an offer in writing valid for three years, or (non-commercial only) pass along an offer received elsewhere.

OTOH, this would not be free:

	You may distribute modified versions, provided that you
		a) Sacrifice a cow to the deity apt;
		b) Send the original author a postcard; or
		c) Send Anthony DeRobertis a box of "Nerds" candy.

That would not be free because neither a, b, nor c are free. If we added in "d) Clearly indicate your modifications" to that list, it'd become free because (d) would be free.

Hope that helps.