Re: crypto in non-free

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 01:02:17PM +0000, Ian Beckwith wrote:
> Hello.
>
> What is the policy on crypto in non-free?
>
> The initial crypto-in-main announcement excluded non-free.
> Is that still the case?

Yes.

> I am packaging the latest ckermit, and I have enabled crypto support
> (kerberos 4 & 5, openssl, TLS, DES, CAST and support for an external
> ssh client). I failed to resolve the license problems, so it is
> staying in non-free.
>
> The current version of ckermit in debian doesn't have any crypto
> options enabled, so this won't have come up before.
>
> ckermit doesn't contain any crypto code itself, it does everything by
> linking to external libraries. Is that relevant?
>
> So, does debian handle BXA declarations for non-free stuff, or will
> ckermit have to go into the ghetto that is non-US/non-free?

non-US/non-free. crypto-in-main is crypto-in-*main*, not
crypto-in-non-free. That's part of the reason why we still have non-US.
This is due to some restrictions with the definition of "public domain"
that the government uses for BXA licenses; they don't care if it has a
copyright (which isn't really public domain) but it can't have a patent
or usage restrictions. You may have some trouble uploading, though;
klecker doesn't seem to be responding, at least to me.

--
Brian M. Carlson <sandals@crustytoothpaste.ath.cx> 0x560553e7