Re: Defining 'preferred form for making modifications'

Thomas Bushnell, BSG said:
> Anthony DeRobertis <asd@suespammers.org> writes:
>
>> > It's true that the GPL wording implies that there is a single
>> > "preferred form",
>>
>> Yep. The GPL was designed for compiled programs, and it shows in
>> several places.
>
> The relation between a xcf and a gif is precisely one of compilation.

Nonsense.  I edit multiple images into a single image all the time, but
rarely save an XCF file: multiple layers live in the image-editor's
memory, but never hit the disk.  There is no persistent form which
represents "source" any more than there is for a wood carving or a
painting.  The original images might be, but I'm usually using very small
subsets of them.  Now, in some cases of a GIF there may be a source file,
where opening the XCF and essentially hitting "save as GIF" will produce
the object form, but it's hardly the general case.
-Brian

                    http://www.evenmere.org/~bts/