Re: Preparation of Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r2 (II)

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> schrieb:

> On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 05:39:02PM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
>>
>> In effect, the computer program itself (eg, the TrueType part is
>> protected) but the output of the program is not.
>
> So it should be possible to reverse-engineer and reimplement any
> non-hinted outline font, and place the result under a Free Software
> license.

This might apply to the US, or whichever country you were talking
about. But I'm quite sure that in Germany Fonts are protected by
law. They are regarded as a piece of art (at least if they meet some
minimal requirements that judges have tried to put on the word "art")
and protected as such, and therefore copying might be restricted.

I don't know whether this applies to the case you were discussing - but
it seems your statement was too general, if "any ... font" includes also
fonts created by Germans... (and possible other (continental ?) european
countries).

Bye, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie