Re: Proposal for clarification of DFSG.1

Branden Robinson wrote:
On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 07:47:28PM +0200, Richard Braakman wrote:
On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 05:17:06PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> In short, we accept "you may not sell this program alone" clauses, but
> only if they have loopholes big enough to make them completely
> ineffective in practice.

By the way, I think this phrasing in the DFSG is no accident.  It's
designed to let the Artistic License pass.  The AL says "You may not
charge a fee for this Package itself" and then goes on to give
permission for including it in a larger distribution.

That's not needed anymore thanks to the Clarified Artistic License.

I think we should amend DFSG 1 so that it reads as Roland's (A) (or the
semantic equivalent).

So do I, but then we'll have to kick the Bitstream Vera fonts out of
main.  I'm guessing that won't be a popular decision, and people will
prefer having pretty fonts on their desktop to having the F in DFSG be
undiluted.

-John

--
http:// if  ile.o g/