Re: Legality of .DEBS in Medialinux.

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Marco Ghirlanda wrote:
> And if I have to distributer the source, then Knoppix itself it
> infringing this?

> It seems that my next CD is going to be more GPL compliant, anyway.
> At least is what I understand from your answers,

Knoppix should be distributing the source from the same location that
you would get the CD, so its still compliant with the GPL.

The real issue comes when you are handing out or selling binary only
cds. Those need to have a written offer for source valid for three
years (for the GPL), or the source needs to be available at the same
time for no extra cost.

[If you were handing them out, you'd just have two piles, a binary
only, and a source only cd.]

The GPL is generally the strictest license we have regarding source...
but so long as you offer it at the same time you are distributing the
binaries for no extra cost (beyond media), it's fine.

Don Armstrong

--
"There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the
right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself."

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu