Re: Undistributable java in main

W liście z czw, 30-10-2003, godz. 05:32, Dalibor Topic pisze:
> Anyway, we're switching kaffe's class library over to GNU Classpath,
> which is GPL + linking exception, and that should make the people who
> support FSFs interpretation happy, too, as GNU Classpath explicitely
> allows linking to it.
I don't think that this buys us much. Distributing GPLed Kaffe which links
to GNU CLasspath sounds to me like like making GNU Classpath GPLed
(according to well known FSF FAQ ;-) so I think that:

1. At least at runtime GPLed Kaffe is using GPLed GNU Classpath (W/o
linking expection) which gets us back to the problem of *running*
GPL-incompatible software w/ GPLed libs.

2. It *might be* that you eventually could use such classpath to compile
things against it as this would not involve linking to GPLed JVM which
would make the whole GPLed (You'd use whatever java compiler + these
libs).

					Grzegorz B. Prokopski

PS: I hope d-l people won't mind us Cc:ing them from now on. We surely
don't want to make it another IANAL-discussion which brigns nothing
so we need some help. Please Cc:d-l when it makes sense.

--
Grzegorz B. Prokopski <gadek@debian.org>
Debian GNU/Linux      http://www.debian.org