Re: If not GFDL, then what?

MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> writes:

> On 2003-10-13 19:58:58 +0100 Brian T. Sniffen <bts@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>> Alice distributes a program, under the GPL, and a documentation
>> package for that program under the GFDL.  Because she is the copyright
>> holder, she distributes them together.  Nobody else can redistribute
>> this as a single integral package, of course.
>
> I'm not convinced by this step in the reasoning.  If they are merely
> aggregated, surely others can distribute them in the same packaging?

Let's say Alice distributes them as an InstallShield(tm) program, or
as a shar-style archive: an installer program which installs the
documentation and the useful program.  Certainly nobody can make such
an installer -- which is a derived work -- except Alice.

> If they are a single work under two incompatible licences, can anyone
> else distribute it at all, even split?

Certainly, as long as he has separate licenses for the two parts from
Alice.

-Brian

--
Brian T. Sniffen                                        bts@alum.mit.edu