Re: System V Code removed from XFS

On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 09:24:09PM -0400, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> The problem with this argument is, of course, that the code isn't
> non-free; "it appears that most or all of the System V code fragments we
> found had previously been placed in the public domain."
>
> Sorry, couldn't resist. Damn SCO.

While System V may in *truth* be in the public domain, that's not a
legally *safe* position to hold, at least in the United States.

As much as I'd like to belief SCO is a paper tiger, I'm uncomfortable
with the thought of exposing our users to attack from SCO's barratrous
attorneys, especially if the upstream authors of one of our packages
appear to be behaving in a manner consistent with a similar discomfort
on their part.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    I've made up my mind.  Don't try to
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    confuse me with the facts.