If not GFDL, then what?

>Here is what I would like to do:
>
>1. Give away my book for free.
>2. Force translations and all derivative works to remain free.
>3. Force my editor's contributions to remain free.
>4. Allow Apress to publish the book commercially.
>5. Put the book in Debian main.
>
>What license would you recommend for that?

The GPL.

Or, if Apress is not happy with the GPL, the GPL plus a specific permission
clause to exempt Apress from whatever part of the GPL they are unhappy about.

If you feel that the GPL needs clarification for the term 'object code', add
a specific notice stating what forms you consider to be object code (not
source code) in your interpretation.

--Nathanael Nerode